Sunday 8 June 2014

Patchiqué Blocks 21 and 80

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2445878@N22/
If patchwork and appliqué weren’t such fun it would be hard to think about quilt making on glorious summer days.  But fear not – this week’s Patchiqué blocks are both fun and very effective.
Block 21 from Japanese Taupe Quilts
Patchwork block 21 entitled ‘Kasuri juji’ (translated as Kasuri crosses) is made up of 49 pieces.  It sounds a lot doesn’t it?  But actually the block was fairly straightforward. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/79143602@N04/14189145057/in/photostream/
Patchiqué Block 21 - Patchsmith Style
The only thing I would say, something I seem to say each fortnight, is you must follow the construction diagram exactly.  Do this and you will spend little more than an hour on this block. One of the strengths of this book is the concise yet clear construction diagrams.

Block 80 from Japanese Taupe Quilts
Appliqué block 80 ‘Neji nioi ume’ was just as quick to put together, leaving me plenty of time to add a little bit of primitive embroidery (running stitch and French knots).  Susan identifies this flower as ‘plum blossom’ but all I could think when appliquéing this pretty square was ‘hibiscus’ but that could be due to the fact that I don’t think I have ever seen plum blossom. 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/79143602@N04/14372250691/in/photostream/
Patchiqué Block 80- Patchsmith Style
Susan used a lovely graduated fabric for her block.  Not having anything similar in my stash I decided to go for a more patchwork approach, creating each petal from a different fabric.  Instead of a yo-yo I fussy cut a centre circle – like so many of my previous appliqué blocks.

This Patchiqué project is really honing my patchwork skills and I am often putting the patchwork blocks together without pinning.  It comes down to accurate cutting and using a scant ¼” seam allowance. 

Next fortnight it will be the turn of patched Block 25 (staggered igeta) and appliqué Block 125 (Kano treasure wheel).

Sew until then ......

1 comment:

  1. I love your plum blossom...I didn't notice all of the different fabrics that you used until now , as I actually make this pretty block! It should be featured centrally in your quilt!! And your block 21 is just so precise and perfect! Two more beautiful blocks!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete